Friday, March 6, 2009

NOLS moment

Tonight as I was walking home I looked up at the sky and was amazed. I love the sky. I love cloud gazing, star gazing, and even just looking up into the giant expanse of blue. The sky is awesome.

Anyway, when I looked up there were clouds, but the moon was shining through them and it was just pretty neat. Of course I was walking so I couldn't look up for more than a few seconds at a time, but I loved it anyhow. Because I always do.

What I didn't expect, however, was to be hit with what I shall now call a "NOLS moment." You know, a brief second when you just wish you were back somewhere where you had been before. And you know that the only people who will understand are those who were with you there in the first place. Yeah, one of those. I definitely had a NOLS moment when I looked into the sky. Because no matter how cool the sky is to look at nothing, nothing, NOTHING will ever beat star-gazing from inside a sleeping bag while lying on a slab of slick rock in Grand Gulch. And if something ever does beat that, I will be amazed.

So of course I sent a quick text to my friend Felicia who was there with me, knowing she would understand and then went on enjoying the sky here and now. It did make me happy, however, to realize that there are definitely some great memories from the three months I spent at NOLS, and now that my knee is feeling better and that the experience is a bit further out I'm really beginning to remember the great parts. Of all the places I went and saw Grand Gulch was most assuredly my favorite and I kind of can't wait to go back sometime. Really. And realizing that is the best part of all.



No comments:

Post a Comment