Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Winton (ah ah) Woods!!

So if you've been here a time or two before you may notice that I've changed the heading of my blog. I tried the "Please Explain" thing which was fun for a while but sometimes there were days where I just wanted to write something and didn't feel that anything needed explaining. I'll try this new theme, of "Today's Praise...... or Concern" and see how it works for a while. Who knows, I'm bad at coming up with these kinds of things. I'm just trying to be clever.

Anyway, today's post is really both a praise and a concern and perhaps the reason I chose the new title. Yesterday I drove home to Cincinnati both to pick up my new license plates from mi padre and to hear my lil bro's "Tune Up" choir concert. All of the choirs at my high school are headed for contest this coming weekend and they always hold a concert right before in order to prepare.

Now, let me brag for just a second.... my brother is in Varsity Ensemble at Winton Woods. In case you don't know our V.E. is kind of a big deal. They went and sang in China for the Olympics last summer. They sing with the Cincinnati Pops almost every year. They've recieved compliments from some of the best choir directors in the country. Last night they performed a rather difficult a cappella piece that they learned just last week. (Link to Video Below) Oh, and my brother's a sophomore.... there are something like 4 sophomores in that entire 40+ person choir. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czQTvKTTMmo

Last night was FUN. The choirs were great, as usual and both Counterpoint and Harmony sang. Counterpoint is the new a cappella women's small ensemble and Harmony is a long standing student run men's a cappella group. When Harmony sang I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard, they sang 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' and had so much fun with it. One of my brother's friends was the "lion" and.... maybe you just had to be there, but it was a good time. Finally Gospel Keys (another long standing student run group) finished out the night with high energy and enthusiasm.

It was great to see that the spirit is still there at Winton Woods. It's just as much fun to be a part of the choral program as it was when I was there. The student groups that either my friends or my friends' older sibilings started are still alive and kickin'. I went over and thanked Mr. Bell and Mr. Spaulding the directors after the performance and told them that it was well worth the 3 hour drive to get there for it and told them to wish all the groups good luck for me for this weekend.

I love my high school. I know I didn't always realize or admit that when I was there, but Winton Woods is truly a unique place with an incredible amount of spirit and..... I don't know.... dedication? determination? Diversity for sure. I'm not sure what other word I'm looking for, but it's a special place and I'm so greatful to have been able to spend 4 years of my life there.

The concern, however, is that there's another levy coming up in May. The last levy for the district failed back in November. I know that times are hard, but education is something that MUST be invested in. I can't wait until Ohio comes up with a new way to fund its public schools. Until then I guess I just have to pray and help in the fight to get the next levy passed. I'm glad I'll be home in April.... you'll definitely be seeing me going door to door or volunteering in any way I can in order to assure the levy passes. It needs to. "There's too much at stake if it doesn't."

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's awesome about the choirs! And your bro must be very talented indeed. :) I wholeheartedly agree with you on the levy and investing in education...I'll definitely be praying for your community and its schools!

    ReplyDelete